Estepona Costa del Sol. Southern SpainThe town is located within an hour of Malaga and 25km from Marbella, in the extreme west of the Costa del Sol, 23 kms of sandy, wide beaches meet the slopes of the Sierra Bermeja. There is some Phoenician and Iberian archaeological remains, but under Roman and Muslim occupation, Estepona gained importance.
Principal festivals celebrate "Semana Santa" (Easter), San Isidro the 15th of May, Virgen del Carmen the 16th of July and the annual fair at the beginning of the summer.
How to get to Estepona
- By Road. From Malaga take the N-340 direction "Cadiz", "Algeciras". You can take the toll way up in the mountains (nice views) or stay on the coastal road (N-340). The N-340 (Duel carriageway) and the E-15 (Motorway) cross the municipality running parallel to the coast for more than 21 Km.
- By Train. The nearest main line train stations are those of Algeciras which is 50 Km away and Malaga.
- By Air. Malaga International Airport lies 70 Km. away with regular flights to and from all the main destinations in the world. Gibraltar airport is situated only 45 Km. away.
- El Nicio Castle. It is the ruins of a 9th Century fortress, from which the walls and several towers remain.
- The Clock Tower. The tower dates back to the Arab period during which it was the minaret of a mosque.
- The Watchtowers which are along the length of Estepona's 21 kilometres of coast,
- The Ruins of the Castle of Saint Louis. The ruins are remaining of the Castle built on the orders of the Catholic Kings
- The Church of Our Lady of Redemption. Built in the 18 Century, the church was originally a tertiary Franciscan monastery.
- The House of the Marquees of Mondéjar.
- The Bullring
Museums in Estepona
- The Museum of Archaeology. Located in the unique setting of the Estepona Bullring.
- The Maritime and Country Museum. The Museum is located at the Estepona Bullring.
- The Museum of Palaeontology. The Museum of Palaeontology is located in the Plaza de los Misioneros
- The Bullfighting Museum. Bullfighters in Spain.
The Rada Beach, located in front of the town, has all services: restaurants, showers, lifeguards,etc. Awarded with the Blue Flag, it is the largest and most popular. The Cristo Beach forms a charming cove, and is ideal for any time of the year, being sheltered from the winds. The following is a list of each of the beaches indicating the length of the coastline each case.
- Del Cristo : 680 m.
- La Rada : 2.630 m. Central beach
- Punta de la Plata : 2.220 m.
- Punta Pinillo : 1.290 m.
- Del Castor : 2.040 m
- La Galera : 960 m.
- Bahía Dorada : 1.120 m.
- Arroyo Vaquero : 585 m.
- Costa Natura : 400 m. Naturist
- Guadalobón : 1.860 m.
- Bella : 1.220 m.
- Guadalmansa : 1.370 m.
- Del Saladillo : 2.630 m.
- Casasola : 910 m.
- La Atalaya : 1.070 m.